Friday, April 22, 2016

Brooklyn


I am not a "huge" movie fan.  I rarely go to a theater but I do occasionally check out the "On Demand" section of my cable and I do watch most of the Academy Awards.  This year I was surprised at the number of movies from books that were nominated in one category or another.  I made a promise to read some of them.

My first pick was Brooklyn by Colm Toibin.  What a lovely story!  Eillis Lacey is the youngest child of  a family in a small town in Ireland in the early 1950s.  Her father is dead and her three brothers have gone to England to find work.  They have made it clear that they have no intention of moving back.  Her older sister lives at home.  She has a good "office" job, great clothes, and strong personality.  She loves golf.  It is Rose's decision that Eillis should move to America to work.  Rose will remain in Ireland with their mother.

Eillis does move to America with the assistance of an American Priest who finds her a room, a job, and college.  Eillis struggles to fit in.  She succeeds at work and at school.  Slowly, she makes friends and eventually a young man.

Toibin has created a wonderful character in Eillis.  It is a pleasure to watch her grow.  I loved her reaction to her housemates and their landlady.  

In addition to good characters, the book's setting is well crafted.  The major events such as allowing African Americans in the department store occur naturally without preaching or prejudice.   

I am so glad I read this book.  I don't know if I will see the movie but at least now I know what the "fuss" was all about.  I am going to pass this book on.


2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to hear this. I haven't read it; however, I just bought a copy for my friend for her birthday, and I bought her the movie. My mom said the movie was excellent, and I thought the trailer looked wonderful. But I've not seen it, yet.

    Then I saw some disappointed book reviews regarding the plot, and I wasn't so sure about it. I haven't heard what my friend thought, and I am curious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try to read a book before I see the movie. The movie is "On Demand" here and I have wanted to watch it but had to read the book first. hahaha a quirk I guess. I enjoyed the book so now I am looking forward to the movie especially to see how to pronounce the girl's name.

    ReplyDelete