Thursday, April 28, 2016

The Railwayman's Wife




Reviews certainly can be misleading.  I read a five-star review of this book and put it in the back of my mind thinking I would add it to my TBR list.  Then, I read an article suggesting books about libraries.  This topped the list.  Books and the library play a role in this novel, but not to the extent I would have like.  

Reading this book was a strange experience for me.  I wanted to read to find out what happens to the characters, but I didn't really care.  In fact, there was nothing I really cared about.  I was mostly just curious.

I have tried several times now to write something more about the book but can't quite be coherent. So I am going to resort to bullet reactions.


  • Ani's grief seems real.  That is important to the story.
  • Isabel (the daughter who is 10) is not realistic.  She is too wise for her age.  She seems to handle her grief "too well."
  • The secondary characters of Roy and Frank don't get enough development.
  • I didn't like the back in time memories.
  • In reviews I read there was mention of a surprise ending, but it wasn't a big surprise.  It was too obvious.
Here's the kicker....I would recommend it.  I want to hear what others think of this book.  It is a novel that would be great for a book group because there is much to discuss.  It would be easy to agree and to disagree about the story.  I'm glad I read it, and I am also glad I got it from the library.  It is not a book I care to own.

No comments:

Post a Comment